The City Ministry Year is a certificate program that offers practical training designed for leaders called to ministry in the unique urban context of New York City. Many participants go through the program upon completion of an M.A. from RTS New York City or from another seminary, but the program can also be taken as a support to ongoing ministry. Designed to train leaders in New York, for New York, the program addresses key ministry competencies from a distinctively urban perspective.
vital skill areas
The goal of the City Ministry Year is ministry effectiveness, not just academic knowledge. We address four skill areas vital for urban ministry—students may choose to study only selected areas or complete all four tracks in one or two years.
preachingPreaching Christ, Preaching to the Culture, Preaching to the Heart, Exposition
missionEvangelism and Apologetics, Justice and Mercy, Faith and Work
pastoral ministryPastoral Theology, Gospel Spirituality, Pastoral Counseling, Worship
leadershipCatalyzing, Organizing, Managing, Finance
- A calling to serve the gospel movement in NYC
- An interest in seeking further urban ministry practical training
A seminary degree is not required.
For students who complete the M.A. in Biblical Studies through CTC and Reformed Theological Seminary, the City Ministry Year covers the "practical theology" typically found in the third year of an M.Div. program.
- Tuition is $2450 per concentration area, or $9800 total for students completing all four areas
- A limited number of need-based scholarships are available
- Classes are held in midtown Manhattan
- Full time students will attend classes two full days per week for one year. Part time students will attend one day per week for two years.
- The program year runs from late August to late May
If City Ministry Year sounds like the right fit for you, and if you match the qualifications of the program, contact us to request more information.